To me, a brownie that calls itself a brownie should most definitely include these characteristics: dense, chewy, and a choc-heaven delight. These healthy vegan protein brownies are gluten-free, oil-free, and kid-friendly. Bonus that these only include ingredients that are normal staples in anyone’s kitchen! These oil-free vegan protein brownies are just as rich and decadent as conventional sugar-filled brownies, just a much healthier option.
I’m not exaggerating when I say that these are some of the yummiest brownies I’ve ever tried. It makes no difference that they are vegan or gluten-free brownies because ultimately they taste great. What’s even more surprising about that statement is that these are packed with ingredients that, in some ways, might actually be good for your health such as hemp seeds, dates, and clean protein powder. Ya know, instead of the conventionally expected all-purpose flour, lots of sugar, piles of butter, and eggs.
This brownie recipe is a little different from others, in the sense that I like to include a ganache topping. Of course, similarly to the brownies, the ingredients I use in the ganache are somewhat healthier options. For example, the key components of the ganache are maca powder, coconut flakes, and organic raw cacao powder.
Raw cacao powder is considered a natural superfood that is high in nutrients such as iron, magnesium, and zinc. It’s also rich in antioxidants for heart health and contains neurotransmitters that contribute to feel-good hormones and happiness.
When it comes to serving up these brownies or adding those photo-worthy finishing touches what better way to do just that than by adding Goji Berries. In the recipe below, I outline exactly what ingredients I normally throw together to add those final bursts of flavor, while at the same time making my creation look like they’ve just come out of the kitchen in a Michelin star restaurant. Because what better way to spruce up a brownie?
Goji berries not only pack a punch when it comes to extra flavor profiles but they also stand out on the plate, due to the contrasting colors. And again, this key ingredient also comes with its own set of health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Goji Berries
The goji berry plant has been utilized in Chinese Medicine for approximately 2,000 years. Some specialists report that goji berries were routinely consumed by monks in the Himalayan Mountains and steeped in hot water, in a similar fashion to tea, in order to obtain greater health, longevity, vitality, stamina, and energy.
Recent research has shown that Goji Berries are fat-free, low in calories, a reliable source of fiber, and are high-antioxidant sources. Some of their health benefits include the capacity to help fight free radicals, effectively manage weight, and support the improvement of digestion.
Goji berries are normally eaten dried, raw, or in powder form, and these contain a wide variety of vitamins, phytonutrients, and trace minerals, which is the reason why they’ve been awarded the “superfood” status by many health experts.
Moreover, according to the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, goji berries have been shown to “increase ratings for energy levels, quality of sleep, ability to focus on activities, mental stamina, feelings of health, happiness, and significantly decreased fatigue and stress levels.”
Chocolate Protein Brownies With Goji Berries Recipe
These chocolate protein brownies with goji berries are absolutely delicious, vegan, and gluten-free, superfood brownies that will become a staple in your kitchen!
For the brownies:
- 2 scoops of @tobeinbloom Green Protein (I used Chocolate Flavor but you can use Vanilla as well)
- 175 g pitted dates
- 70 g packed almond flour
- 35 g raw cacao powder
- 1.5 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 cup (100 g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (50 g) raw walnuts
- 135 g unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 60 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the ganache and topping:
- 90 ml maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (50 g) raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 cup (85 g) shredded coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon of Goji Berries
- 1 teaspoon of Dark Chocolate
- Make the brownies: In a medium bowl, soak the dates for 20 minutes in enough boiling water to cover. Line a 9 by 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cacao powder, hemp seeds, and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the oats, walnuts, and shredded coconut until they are the texture of coarse meal. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and set aside.
- Drain the dates and add them to a blender along with the maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. Blend until completely smooth, then add the mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is evenly combined.
- Press the batter evenly in the prepared pan, gently pressing it down with your spoon or spatula.
- Make the ganache: In a blender, combine the maple syrup, cacao, and maca and blend until smooth. Pour the glaze over the brownies. Sprinkle the coconut flakes evenly over the glaze.
- For the topping: Soak Goji berries in hot water for approx 2mins and spread on top of the brownies, grade dark chocolate on top.
- Refrigerate the brownies overnight to set. Slice into roughly 2 by 2-inch (5 by 5 cm) squares and serve. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Try to use a scale: This is so important for baking, especially when it comes to vegan, and gluten-free recipes. Without traditional flour, oil, or eggs precision is the key to mastering the consistency and flavors!
- Follow the recipe: Skipping any of the steps will ultimately affect the texture and outcome. It’s crucial to blend the ingredients as directed until completely smooth.
Stay tuned for my next recipes. And don’t forget to share this delicious superfood-filled vegan brownie recipe so that others like you can enjoy it too.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below. Enjoy!